Wednesday, November 3, 2021

A tweaked back is no fun at home, less so in a Mexican resort

What last Tuesday had started out with two smooth, upgraded flights to Cancun, an impeccable ground transfer, and a fairly efficient check-in at the Ocean Coral y Turquesa turned sour the next morning, Wednesday, when my lower left back suddenly cramped up after I had been enjoying a seaside lounge chair for half an hour. Damn, what is it with Mexico and me? Three days later I was still groaning when walking, and for most of my time in the resort I simply sat at the pool or looked at the waves instead of going for the long beach walks that I had envisioned. Now, sitting in the Cancun airport on the way back I am still not right and have a hard time walking without grimacing.
Almost three weeks ago, in Fayetteville, I had some minor issues with my right lower back that I attributed to walking the cyclocross course, something my new hip isn't quite used to yet. I didn't take any pain meds and after two days things were back to close to normal—end of story, or so I thought. I think that my new hip is asking my body to make certain adjustments, and something triggered the pinch on the left side. There's a new slightly numb area in that leg (oh, I have several of those!), so I believe it's one of those nerve-related issues.
So, I had to practice my beach- and pool-lounging skills, and even that was only marginally enjoyable. Thankfully, the weather cooperated in the best way (no rain, few clouds, definitely no hurricanes like a year ago), and I finally read Rick Ridgeway's highly recommendable The Big Open while nursing my share of mojitos, margaritas, and piña coladas. But those who know me also know that I'm generally a little more active than that, and even though I didn't bring a bike on this trip because for once I wanted to travel light this was way too sedentary for me.
To be honest, I am glad to fly back this afternoon, if for nothing else than a stash of Tramadol in my slim medicine cabinet and the prospect of a pain-free night. But, quite frankly, I am also ready to escape the gluttony and laziness of the past week. Even though I ate at the main buffet only twice, concocting lunch salads with dozens of small bites of  various savory foods, I am sure I still ate my fair share. Add to that all those empty calories that come in the form of foo-foo drinks and you have the recipe for serious weight gain. Ah, the perils of going to an all-inclusive!
This was probably my fifth time at the Ocean Coral y Turquesa, and unfortunately I have to report that every time the entire experience loses another half star. It started out with what I would call a sub-par room for what is considered one of their best guests, an H10 Privilege member. The view from my balcony on the second floor was limited to the trunks and tops of palm trees. What happened to the promised ocean view that was included in the initial sales presentation many years ago? And what happened to the balcony jacuzzi that until now I had been able to enjoy after a day on the beach (and which would have really come in handy this time around)? Trying to change to a better room resulted in only a shrug and the oh-so-Mexican no hay. Really?
In re-reading my blogpost from last year I realized that at the time I had wondered whether COVID had affected the workers' morale and the general offerings. It appears that, mostly, the waitstaff are more upbeat and eager to help, especially when I engaged with them in Spanish. But overall, services were spotty. Three days lacked the promised daily mini-bar restocking. Yesterday afternoon, after spending the entire day at the pool and beach my room was still not made up at 5:30 pm, the time when essentially the entire resort takes a break to get ready for dinner. Coffee pods for the Mexican version of a Keurig appeared in unpredictable intervals. One day there'd be four fresh towels, the next just one. The list goes on.


While most of the food was prepared with lots of attention to detail, the menus in the various specialty restaurants feature fewer a la carte items than in prior years. (BTW, printed menus no longer exist and you will need a cell phone to figure out what to order; with excellent Wi-Fi service throughout the resort, including the beach, that's not an issue since nowadays nobody leaves the room without a mobile device.) Thankfully, items such as the octopus carpaccio or the duck breast still exist, as do the divorced eggs for breakfast or the roast beef baguette for lunch.


Unfortunately, there was also a lot of hit-and-miss. For example, I had enjoyed the ensalada de pulpo en salsa de mango on my second night as the squid rings had been freshly deep fried and were delicious; last night, the same dish arrived cold and stale. The quality of the beef has gone downhill as the meat is apparently brined or tenderized in some other way so that the texture appears quite unnatural; same goes for the chicken. What was supposed to be tiramisu in the Italian restaurant was anything but, and to receive an espresso in a large coffee mug meant that the liquid was cold when it arrived. One grins and bears, remembering that these are First World problems, but when I have to pay First World prices (plus a daily $40 singles supplement) I should not be faulted for noticing these issues as they did not exist just a few years ago. Of course, the wine is still practically undrinkable and I was glad to have brought two bottles for really special dinners.
"Tiramisu" and "espresso"
I talked to two managers about my experience, and they agreed that there are problems but that they do the best and don't receive the support from upper management. It seems to be the same story everywhere: Profits are the only thing that counts, and customer experience and satisfaction are afterthoughts at best. H10 is lucky to have this Mexican workforce that generally is cheerful and welcoming, because without them the disappointment would have been much more severe.
To end this blogpost on a happy note, I should mention that I once again learned a few things about Mexican food that I hope to incorporate at home. Probably the revelation of the trip was the enmoladasmole-covered soft chicken tacos that I ate twice for breakfast. The pictures say it all. As usual, I'd ask for the ingredients of this dish or that, or how a particular salsa is prepared. One evening, in the empty Privilege Lounge, the bartender showed me how to mix margaritas based on Mezcal, Cointreau, and oranges, with sugar instead of salt encrusting the rim of the glass. It was in the same lounge that I finally was able to get a Cafe Maya—something that I couldn't get even in the Mexican specialty restaurant. My waiter at first seemed somewhat perplexed when I asked for this delicacy, but when I told him that ingredients were the local Xtabentun as well as Kahlua he relayed the info to an experienced bartender who then concocted this wonderful beverage. So, maybe there is hope left ...

Time for me to close the laptop here in the Cancun airport. The former Priority Pass lounge in Terminal 3 (which services AA and some of the other major airlines) no longer exists, the airport Wi-Fi doesn't work (so I will have to wait to upload photos and publish this post), and there aren't any power outlets. Oh well, my flight will board in 45 minutes and then I'll enjoy the lie-flat comfort of 3L of the wide-body that will take me to Dallas.
Jürgen

No comments:

Post a Comment