Monday, March 9, 2020

Still traveling ... this time to Brazil

Things are disconcerting at this moment while I am sitting in the Sao Paulo airport (GRU), about to return to the USofA after a week here in Brazil. The coronavirus (COVID-19) is all over the news. Markets are plummeting, governments restrict the movement of citizens (Italy just went into full lock-down less than 15 minutes ago), and (useless) surgical facemasks may soon become more valuable than gold, if they aren't already in some ignorant people's view. Welcome to a world that's quite different from the one we knew just a couple of months ago.



Personally, I do not feel threatened the way I would with a pack of rabid dogs chasing me on a bike. Yet I am not oblivious to what's out there. I am more careful in regard to washing my hands, trying to stay away from people in the airport, and more conscientious about what I touch. But I certainly didn't think for one second about cancelling my trip to Brazil, which started last week Tuesday and will conclude tomorrow around 10:00 a.m. Lubbock time. Goodness me, the world has gone into a full-fledged panic, and I'm not going to pour gasoline onto the fire.
Rogerio, the race organizer


Faithful readers may remember that two years ago, in AD 2018, I flew to the impossibly named Uberlandia on the way to the town of Araxa, in the state of Minas Gervais. Remember that it is the home of one of the largest niobium (strip) mines in the world? Remember the Taua Grande, and its spa, immediately transporting you back into the late 19th century? That's where I went again.


The amazing Maritza with the americano
Gal and I and the lovely bubbly lady
When I had received the confirmation that I would work another race with Rogerio Bernardes, who has been running the Copa Internacional Mountain Bike, or CIMTB (this year with its main sponsor Michelin), and his crew of good, good people, I was super excited. Sure, as is the case with almost every race south of the Rio Grande (not all--see Argentina's Vuelta a San Juan) there are always a few initial hiccups and issues. I mean, that makes working a race in South America so attractive! Rogerio will have you covered.
Iverson



Caipirinha Salinas
Much to my relief and honestly-felt happiness was the fact that my old friend Camilo Geraldi, who hales from Belo Horizonte, and I would be working together. As a bonus, another buddy, Iverson Ladewig from Curitiba, was going to be a member of the officiating crew, so I knew there'd be fun after the race, too. Wink, wink. The race was a four-day UCI HC mountain bike stage race, something that has no equal in the western hemisphere. Making sure that regulations were followed and the race was fairly run fell into the capable hands of Gal Alon, a US-based UCI PCP whom I had never met before but with whom I struck an immediate bond.


The self-serve spigot, my friend. Andre is the founder and owner of 040, and he is Camilo's friend.
Just like two years ago, there was that late-night transfer from the Uberlandia airport on the world's most-potholed road to Araxa, and again accommodations were in the Taua Grande. It's a lot of traveling to and from the race (altogether close to about 60 to 65 hours, door to door to door), but for me it's worth it. The setting of this haute categorie race is second to none, and since 2018 the event has been extended to four days from just three: time trial, marathon, short track, and cross-country. all that on mountain bikes. And to make Gal's life just a little more complicated, there was even a separately UCI-inscribed e-MTB race.


Michelin's Blip in action. What, you didn't know his name?
Rogerio puts on an incredible race, but what really makes it all tick is the fact that over the years he has managed to attract major sponsors and a gazillion exhibitors so that there's a bike expo that may not be in the same league as Sea Otter (yet) but that is so attractive that literally tens of thousands of spectators line the races on Saturday and Sunday. Yes, 10,000 plus! (And of course, the event also teems with amateur events which partly pay the bill for the pro races.)


Look closely, she's a girl sporting the 'stache theme that originated with me two years ago. Seriously. It was all over the event. I feel proud.
 As you can tell from some of the accompanying photos, both the racing as well as the expo were simply a joy to watch and be immersed in. Sure, we all have our jobs to do, but that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the ambience and friendship after hours. Man, you should have seen the party on Saturday afternoon, after the Elite marathon (a sixty-K race) had been finished! Brazilians simply like to party!
And while we are generalizing (because, after all, there must be some Brazilians who hate a good party): Unlike many waspy women, brazilieiras like to show off their bodies regardless of whether they fit into an outfit or not. Spandex is king! Containment is obviously tenuous! Bodies of the world, rebel and unite! Ah, to be a young(er) man once again.




Because of the schedule and some other circumstances I didn't get a chance to take a hike away from the grounds of the Grand Taua. Nevertheless, the weather was somewhat more pleasant than the last time I was down here and I simply went along with the flow and enjoyed every minute of my stay. This morning's 7:00 a.m departure from the hotel came way too early, but that's the way it goes. Camilo and I talked a lot about my maybe coming down and spending a week in Belo Horizonte, and I am sure that Iverson (and his lovely wife, Simone, whom I met for the first time) would welcome me down in their beach community. We'll see. First things first: Let's not get panicked and let's get ready for a flight in less than 48 hours to Mallorca. Let the fun continue!
Jürgen

No comments:

Post a Comment