Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Sunday night, and I am at home ?!?!!!

What a great feeling it is to actually spend a weekend at home! I had really been looking forward to this for the past three weeks of traveling. The highlight of my weekend was going to be to fire up the Kamado and cook for some of my friends, whom I had invited to come over last night.

One of my favorite meals is Argentine steak, and that's what I fixed for Wes & Susan, Martha & Alan, and Liz. I had bought a boat load of good-looking sirloin steak, and Friday night I spent some quality time with myself and a mojito preparing the chimichurri sauce that is used both to marinade the beef as well as to later pour on the finished meal. Judy and I had found the recipe for the chimichurri years ago in the American Airlines in-flight magazine, and I dug out the oft-folded original copy. Before you start begging me to send you the recipe, here it is:

  • 2 cups chopped parsley
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 red jalapeno (or other fresh red chile pepper), stemmed, seeded, and chopped

Process the parsley and garlic in your Cuisinart with a little bit of the olive oil until it has the consistency of a very fine paste. Add the other ingredients and taste for seasoning; you may need to add a bit of salt. Feel free to adjust the level of garlic. Pour the sauce into a bottle or simply serve it in a bowl with a spoon to dribble it over the meat once it is cooked. (The meat is marinated in a mixture of chimichurri sauce, black pepper, more sea salt, and red pepper flakes.)

Liz in hot anticipation of Argentine steak night


The Kamado is perfect for grilling meat at high heat, searing and sealing it to capture all the good flavors. Oh so yummy! Martha had brought a very tasty three-bean salad, and Susan's guacamole was a perfect appetizer. As a side dish I fixed oven-baked potato wedges Creole style. Add three bottles of fine Cameron Hughes reds and you make it a meal!

The Keeblers
So, we had a great evening. Wes and Susan's two little girls were as sweet as they come, we managed not to break any dishes, and nobody got sick, as far as I know. Add to that 59- and 55-mile weekend rides (the latter in 30 mph winds!), and it was the perfect way to spend some time at home.


Jürgen

No comments:

Post a Comment